You don't have to think
very hard at all
to come up with 15 good reasons
to buy handmade:
1. You're helping the economy. Most craftspeople are small business owners who can really use your support. And if you buy at a local show, you're keeping the money close to home.
2. It's good for the environment. Many hand-produced goods are made using green methods and/or materials. And there's no impact from fuel burned in shipping long distances.
3. There's a human connection. The kind you won't find at Walmart. It's a very different feeling when you pick up something that was made with care by a pair of human hands.
4. The item tells a story. Either in the item itself or in the hands that created it, there's often more than meets the eye.
5. It's personal. An item that you've picked specifically for someone, or had created just for them, is a more intimate gift than a gift card can ever be.
6. It's unique. No two hand-crafted items can ever be exactly alike. That's the point of handmade!
7. It can be inspiring. Seeing a well-crafted object might inspire you to look at your own scrap bag/wood pile/free time in new and exciting ways.
8. You're helping someone else. Buying handmade gives an artist the opportunity to continue doing the work they love, and helps them make a living using their skills.
9. You spread the word. Buying and giving handmade is a great way to spread the gospel of hand-crafted.
10. There's a potential heirloom. When you commission a piece to commemorate a specific occasion, a handmade item will carry the story you want to tell down through the generations.
11. It's interesting. In addition to enjoying your hand-crafted object, there's always plenty to learn about the person who made it, and the materials and techniques that were used in its creation.
12. It's fun. Shopping at craft fairs or browsing online is a great way to fill your hours with eye candy.
13. Your item is well-crafted. The kinds of people who create beautiful objects are the kinds of people who derive joy from the process. Your item is likely to be made to last.
14. It'll give you a good feeling. For all the reasons listed above and many more, you'll feel good when you buy and give handmade. It's the right thing to do.
15. It's easy! Etsy makes it easy to find thousands of hand-crafted items from the comfort of your own home. Never before in history has there been such easy access to all-things-handmade . . .
What are you waiting for?!