June 26, 2011

Appreciation Crumbs


Sometimes as an artist it is hard to know
whether you are really reaching your audience.





Long days spent isolated in the studio can translate into all kinds of self-doubt:

Will anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Is what I'm doing worthwhile?

Would anyone ever want to buy this?

DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE EVEN CARE?!


That's why I try to leave feedback for people when I come in contact with their work. I know that when I do shows, the people who take the time to sign my book or leave a comment value what I do, even if they can't afford to take it home and/or have no space in their lives for a long-term relationship.

Which I understand because I'm also poor and my walls are full.


But art nourishes my soul
so I am careful to take 
the time to say "thank you."


Just leave a comment when you see something you like, or something that you feel the artist should continue to explore. One of the most helpful comments I ever received was from a woman who told me a particular piece "had legs." I knew I had an idea that meant something and so I worked on pushing that idea as far as it could go. (And the woman has become a very supportive friend and collector.)

It only takes a second to mark a "favorite" on an Etsy shop, or say "well done, and I especially liked that --" on a blog post.

It's the least we can do for our like-minded art loving friends who spend so much time and energy putting beauty into the world.

Just leave a little trail of appreciation crumbs as you make your way around the web -- it's sure to lead someone back to your own world and work, and you may find a kindred spirit (or even an occasional sale?!)

At the very least, you'll be giving an artist
the encouragement they need to keep on creating.















Susan M. Hinckley
Small Works in Wool

3 comments:

  1. I care! I care!

    I love your work. And, it's true- my walls are full. But, if I ever move into a bigger house with more walls to fill, you will be on one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was knodding my head, 'yes', to everything you have expressed. It is one thing to pour your soul into work and get encouraging knods from colleagues and friends. It is entirely different to create in solitude and then never know for sure what a piece, if a piece will catch someone's eye or imagination out there. Sometimes it's the word from a stranger, just the shortest of encouragements, that keeps a body moving...loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies -- I think anyone who has ever poured themselves into a creation and then held it up for the world to see (or not) can probably relate. [And your kind words here are exactly wht I was talking about!]

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our audience! Comments are appreciated and help us know that what we are doing is important to you. Don't be a lurker! Jump in and give us your thoughts!