June 7, 2011

Fabric Painting: Something Different To Try

Fun with fabric paints- posted by AsianArtAndQuilts



I’m sure there are a lot of art quilters on TAFA who use fabric painting as part of their process in making an art quilt. I love silk painting for many of mine.

I’m sure we’ve all tried many brands of paint and have our favorites, I generally use Pebeo Setacolor, I like the thickness of it and there is always their Thickener if I want more concise control.
One inconvenience is the how most fabric paints bleed onto the surrounding area of dry fabric. I know gutta resists are designed to contain that bleeding paint problem. But when I want to paint, well, I want to do just that, paint & now! I’m far too lazy and impatient to have to carefully apply lines of gutta.
Now a lot of you wonderful artists, who do such a beautiful job using the gutta resists, don’t be offended by my rash statement. Please feel free to school me on the fine points of this method.

But I just read about a product, that I can’t wait to try. It’s called Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Water-Resistant Artists Ink. It is applied like fabric paint, but it doesn’t bleed into the surrounding dry fabric. Yet if applied to wet fabric it will blend, allowing shading and so forth. It can also be used to create those beautiful watercolor effects if diluted.

There are plenty of colors to choose from, 38 in all. They are intermixable. I’m assuming the colors right out of the bottle will be very vibrant.

Yet, when you want to create subtler colors and varying tones, you can acheive those by diluting the paint to the degree you want. They can be diluted as much as needed, to create lighter colors & a consistency more like a watercolor. You can do washes with them, as you would with watercolor, and add additional layers of color.

You heat set with your iron. They claim to have a high degree of colorfastness, and are more like the nature of a dye, with little effect on the hand of the fabric.

I’ve ordered some and can’t wait til they arrive. I’m itching to “play” with them, and see if they’re as good as they sound. I’ll let you know how they work out. If anyone out there has had any experience with these, please share your thoughts, tips, impressions with us. I’m really curious to find out what other artists think of this product.
You can read the entire article on my blog http://asianartandquilts.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our audience! Comments are appreciated and help us know that what we are doing is important to you. Don't be a lurker! Jump in and give us your thoughts!