March 20, 2011

Are your photos where it's at?

You can get with this, or you can get with that.
Are
your photos where it's at?

Posted by Barbara Harms/Asian Art And Quilts

I loved saying that. ...like the car ad with the cool mice.
But, let's talk seriously for a minute about the photos you are taking for showcasing your work.

My own early photos will, at the very least give you a good laugh, and at best demonstrate an important lesson for many new sellers. Most importantly, you must believe, and learn; the photos you take for your listings make the difference between a sale or not even getting a passing look.

Your customers (and sales) are dependent on the quality of your photos, so here goes, you be the judge.

Which product would you choose?
 

You can go with this
or you can go with that.
[a slight disclaimer, none of these have not been sized for the proper dimensions ]


Scarf Image #1


Scarf Image #2


#1?- A hanger and a hand showing [with dye on the hand even]
Or #2?


Model #1


Model #2


Which model would you choose?    #1 or #2?

I should get a few points for thinking outside the box with the bear.
But what does that photo say about my professionalism?

So what do you think?

Remember, the photos used in your listings make all the difference!
So tell me, what is wrong with these photos?  What would you do to improve them?
By sharing our thoughts and examples we WILL improve!

And, I think we all could benefit from help to take better photos, yes?

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Barbara! I definitely like the two images with the models in them more than the hanging scarf or panda. They give a sense of scale, of how big the scarves are on a real person. I also really like the contrast you use in the photos. They are vibrant and look alive.

    But, I go back and forth on using real models with my own stuff. I have a mannequin that I use. I know many Etsy sellers use their people shots to reinforce their branding, but I have seen photos with people that make me definitely run from the product. Especially if it is one of a kind, it might be a turn off knowing that someone you think looks itchy or not quite clean is wearing that piece. Or, it might make the product look specific to an age group, body type or fashion set.

    I definitely think that Etsy sellers should use all five of their product image spots to showcase their products. So, you can have both: show people or mannequins and then do close ups.

    One thing I see a lot which I find very bad, design wise, are photos of purses, scarves or other things sitting in the grass or hanging off branches. They look lost and the photos tend to look cluttered or distracted. I prefer white or simple backgrounds. Even the panda, although a cute idea, kind of disappears into the background on that shot. His ears merge into the bushes in the background. The black background on the other shots works very well with the vibrant scarves.

    It's all a lot of work, but over time, those who stick with it will find their photos improving, develop a signature for their work and improve their sales because of it.

    You are right! Photos will either help generate a sale or make the potential customer walk right on by...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me laughing out loud Rayela, you're so right. I agree with your comment about the models. You want your photos to catch attention and stand out among the 100's of similar listings, but not because your model looks like a meth addict.
    [ no offense intended to any meth addicts out there].
    Seriously, what good advise from a pro seller. I liked all the links in your recent post on photographing your products. There's a lot of excellent info out there to help all of us improve.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our audience! Comments are appreciated and help us know that what we are doing is important to you. Don't be a lurker! Jump in and give us your thoughts!