March 6, 2011

Terry Aske Interview: Who says retirement can’t be fun?


Interview by Barbara Harms AsianArtAndQuilts

I frequently cruise the pages of Etsy looking at the art quilts. There’s a lot of talented artists with beautiful work. Terry Aske is one of those really special artists that you have to stand up and take notice.
I recently contacted her for an online interview. Here’s what she had to say.

1-What inspires you to create and how do you keep motivated?
I am self-motivated to create because designing and creating with fabric makes me happy. Even when I am working on one project, I am usually daydreaming about possibilities for the next project. Having the Etsy shop motivates me to keep creating and to finish each project I start. It provides me with a forum where I can show my creativity to a wide audience.

2-Where do you get your ideas?
I get my ideas from everything around me – the colors in a garden or landscape, the shape of a building, the design of a wrought-iron gate, etc. I try to make notes or take pictures whenever I see something that inspires me. This time of year, I am inspired by the beautiful autumn colors of leaves and trees, and I have a number of quilts that reflect that theme. .

3–Who or what have had the most influence on your work?
The dark intense colors and precise geometrical patterns used by Amish quilters were an early influence. I love the bright, informal style of the Gee’s Bend quilters. The quilt artist I admire most is Ruth B. McDowell Her interpretations of in fabric are amazing. I have read all of her books and in 2008 had the pleasure of attending one of her 4-days workshops. I have made several art quilts using the freezer paper template piecing technique that Ruth teaches.

4-How have you handled the business side of your career?
I work part-time, so my quilt business is not my primary focus. However, even a part-time business requires some time spent on paperwork, marketing, etc. I watch for articles and blogs that discuss new ideas for organization, promotion, selling and the like. I have learned a lot from other Etsy sellers.

5-How would you describe your style?
My style is contemporary. I’m fascinated with nature themes and geometric patterns. Some of my quilts are pieced, some are fusible appliqué, and some are a combination of techniques. I love bright, intense, complex colors. My favorite color is chartreuse; you’ll find at least a bit of it in almost every one of my quilts. I often use dark backgrounds, as they make the bright colors “pop”.

6--Describe yourself in 5 words.
cheerful, calm, perfectionist, creative, enthusiastic

Visit Terry Aske's Member Profile on TAFA

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our audience! Comments are appreciated and help us know that what we are doing is important to you. Don't be a lurker! Jump in and give us your thoughts!